Home Page

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Saffron Chicken with Peppers


Two things attracted me to this recipe in the New Dieters Cookbook by Better Homes and Gardens: I love saffron; and I love to cook with chicken thighs, they are impossible to screw up. So tonight for dinner I decided to try this new recipe. Don't let the fact that it came from a diet cookbook turn you off, it was delicious. Also, try not to make the same mistake I did, I used olives with pits instead of the pimento stuffed ones called for in the recipe. It still tasted great, but I spent forever getting the pits out, and even then I gave up long before I had the 1/2 cup called for in the recipe. Mario's verdict: "It's a keeper."; Claire's verdict: "It's good, but well I like the chicken from Kentucky better."; Marco's verdict: "Mommy? Can you get out the green stuff?" Oh well, you can't win em' all.

Saffron Chicken with Peppers
12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Salt and Pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 large red pepper, sliced into strips
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup long grain rice
1/4 tsp saffron threads, crushed
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup dry white wine

1. Season chicken and sauté in olive oil over medium-high heat until browned. 5 minutes per side.

2. Remove chicken to a plate and reserve 1 tbsp of pan drippings.

3. Add red pepper, onion, and garlic. Sauté until vegetables soften (4-5 minutes)

4. Stir in rice and saffron. Add the water, white wine and olives. Bring to a boil. Place chicken thighs back into mixture, cover skillet and simmer for 25 minutes.

For those who care, the recipe serves six and the nutritional information per serving is: 380 calories and 12g fat.