Home Page

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Cranberry Apple Dessert Risotto


I am in Toronto on business, but I whipped up a few new little recipes on the weekend, so I would have something to post while I'm away. I wouldn't want to disappoint my loyal blog readers (all six of you - and yes, I had to count my Mom and Dad separately to get to six!).

This recipe really appealed to me when I saw it for the first time. Dinner for dessert type dishes really appeal to me... dessert pizza, dessert sushi, dessert lasagna. OK I made that last one up, but I bet you could make one!

I started this recipe before dinner, then just put the pan back on the burner and added the last cup of liquid right before we were ready for dessert.

Cranberry Apple Dessert Risotto

1/2 cup dried cranberries
3 1/2 cups skim milk
1 tsp cinnamon
salt to taste
1 tbsp butter
1 large apple, peeled, cored and diced
1/2 cup Arborio rice
1 1/2 cups apple juice
2 tbsp packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla

1. In small bowl cover cranberries with boiling water for 30 minutes to plump.

2. Heat milk and cinnamon in saucepan. Set aside.

3. In a non stick skillet, heat butter and add apple to cook until tender (1 to 2 minutes).

4. Add rice and cook for 30 seconds.

5. Add 3/4 cup of apple juice and stir. When liquid is absorbed, add remaining apple juice and simmer until liquid is absorbed. Add sugar and stir well.

6. Begin adding hot milk, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring each addition until absorbed.

7. Stir in cranberries and vanilla. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.