Home Page

Monday, April 9, 2007

Easter Turkey


Well, I didn't make this myself (but I could have). This is the Easter Turkey we ate at my Mom and Dad's house. Every year, my Dad hauls out the BBQ for the first time of the season to roast the Easter Turkey, and usually closes BBQ season with his Thanksgiving Turkey. The recipe is pretty simple. Stuff the turkey, truss it up, and throw it on the charcoal BBQ. Here is the recipe for my family's excellent stuffing. The summer savoury used in the recipe is not always readily available everywhere, I buy it on-line here. Like my Mom, I never actually measure anything when making this stuffing, I just go by instinct, but I will try to estimate some amounts.

Grandma's Newfoundland Turkey Dressing

1 cup soft bread crumbs per pound of turkey
1/2 tsp summer savoury per cup of breadcrumbs
1 large chopped onion
1/2 cup melted butter

1. Start with one cup of soft breadcrumbs per pound of turkey. Generously sprinkle with savoury. You should see lots of dark specks in the breadcrumbs. If in doubt, add more!

2. Place one large chopped onion and 1/2 cup butter in a measuring cup and put in microwave until the butter is all melted.

3. Stir butter and onion into breadcrumbs. The butter should just wet all the breadcrumbs, but they shouldn't be SWIMMING in butter. (1/2 cup would be about the right amount of butter for 8-10 cups of stuffing. So you can adjust a little depending on how much you have.)

4. Stuff the turkey.