Home Page

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Smashed Potatoes


I love this recipe. I have served it about 4 times for guests, and I get lots of compliments. But, I guess after this post, the secret will be out of the bag....its the easiest recipe in the world, and anyone with a cookie sheet can make them. This recipe is adapted from one I found in Fine Cooking Magazine (Jan 2007).

Smashed Potatoes

16 mini potatoes (white or red skin)

1 tsp salt
1/2 cup olive oil

1. Wash potatoes, but do not peel. Boil the potatoes for about 15 minutes until tender. Drain and let cool.

2. When cool, place a clean towel on the counter, and use a second to press down gently on the potato. Smash the potato down until it is about a 1/2" thick. The skin will keep the potato from falling apart.

3. Arrange the potatoes on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with salt and bake in a 450F oven for about 30 to 35 minutes until brown and crispy.