Home Page

Thursday, August 2, 2007

Banana Coconut Muffins


Well this wasn't the smartest thing I ever did. I had some over ripe bananas that I needed to use, and I found a recipe for banana coconut muffins that really appealed to me, but that noboby else in my family will eat. Honestly though, I could have sworn that last week Claire and Marco liked coconut, but children are fickle about these sort of things and I think they are just copying their Dad.

At first, when I was making these I was thinking, what sort of stupid muffin recipe only makes EIGHT muffins! But now that it turns out I am the only one who will eat them, I'm kinda glad there's not so many. I ate one when they were fresh out of the oven, and they were scrumptious. But I really don't eat a lot of muffins, they are high in calories and if I'm going to have a treat (and trust me I have lots of treats) I prefer to choose something else... like poutine!

So, I froze the rest of the muffins, and in 6 months or so, when they are all freezer burnt, I'll throw them out. Phew, I'm really glad those ripe bananas aren't going to go to waste!

Banana Coconut Muffins
from Epicurious

1 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup butter, melted
2/3 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut

1. Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.

2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the banana, butter, sugar, egg, vanilla and 1/2 cup of the coconut.

3. Fold flour mixture into the wet ingredients, and mix just until combined.

4. Divide batter amoong 8 paper lined (or greased) muffin tins. Sprinkle tops with remaining coconut.

5. Bake at 375F for 25 minutes until golden. Cool on wire rack.