Home Page

Monday, October 1, 2007

Creamy Gorgonzola Spaghetti with Toasted Walnuts


I have always had a small weakness for anything in a cream sauce. I know it's bad of me, and I have always been a little jealous of Mario who actually PREFERS tomato based sauces. We will be out for dinner in a fancy restaurant, and I will scour the menu trying to guess which meals might be lower in calories. Finally, I resign myself (with difficulty) to ordering some sort of pasta in tomato sauce or grilled chicken. Then the waiter stops at our table, and out of my mouth, totally involuntarily, comes.... "I'll have the tortellini with bacon and sausage in the brie cream sauce, please... oh and could I have side order of lard with that?".

The waiter leaves, and Mario is just looking at me with one eyebrow raised (he knows WAY better than to speak at this point)... "WHAT???".... then the guilt starts to set in, "Oh, I should have ordered the grilled chicken".... Mario offers to call the waiter back.... "no no, that's OK".

Here is one of my favorite at home versions.


Creamy Gorgonzola Spaghetti with Toasted Walnuts
serves 4

12 oz spaghetti
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (about 4 ounces)
1/2 cup chives
1/2 cup toasted walnuts
Parmesan cheese

1. Cook spaghetti in boiling salted water.

2. Meanwhile, melt butter in non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add flour and whisk for one minute.

3. Gradually whisk in whipping cream, white wine and chicken broth. Boil and stir until mixture is thick.

4. Add crumbled Gorgonzola and whisk until cheese is melted and smooth.

5. Drain spaghetti and mix into sauce. Stir in walnuts and chives (reserve a little of each to sprinkle on top).

6. Place in a large serving bowl and top with Parmesan cheese.