Home Page

Monday, October 29, 2007

Pork Chops and Stuffing


This is yet another old favorite of mine. I love the way the pork comes out so tender... it's just like cutting butter with a knife!

I may have gotten a little carried away with the massive pile of stuffing on top of the pork chop. I just love the stuffing and I guess my eyes were a little bigger than my stomach (as usual). I had extra breadcrumbs so I made more stuffing than the recipe called for and I split it between 3 pork chops instead of 4.

I actually don't often cook with cans of soup. I would usually prefer to make my own creamy sauce for a recipe that calls for a can of soup. If you go back through the near 200 recipes I have on this site... you will only find ONE other recipe (I think)that calls for a can of soup. Can somebody please find it and report back to me?

Actually, this is a perfect opportunity to kick off the first CONTEST on Janet is Hungry. The first Janet is Hungry reader to locate another recipe on my site that calls for a can of soup and leave it in the comment section wins a PRIZE. The prize will be a copy of one of my favorite cookbooks! I will announce the winner in my post tomorrow (if anyone bothers)...

Pork Chops with Stuffing

4 pork chops
1 tbsp oil
3 cups soft bread crumbs
3 tbsp dried summer savory
1/2 onion, chopped fine
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup water
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 can of water

1. Brown pork chops in oil for a few minutes on each side. Place pork chops in a greased casserole dish that has a cover.

2. In a large bowl, mix breadcrumbs and summer savory. Melt butter in the microwave with the onion. Stir into breadcrumbs. Add water to breadcrumbs.

3. Form breadcrumbs into a ball. Or press into a mold (I used a 3/4 cup measuring cup... but a 1/2 cup or 1/3 cup measuring cup would give you a more reasonable portion of stuffing). Place a ball of stuffing on top of each pork chop.

4. Mix soup with 1/2 a can of water and pour over pork chops and stuffing. Bake for 1 hour at 350F. This is really good served with rice, because you can use some of the extra sauce on the rice.