Home Page

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Apple Ginger and Hazelnut Coffee Cake


This coffee cake was delicious. I was a little wary when I first read the recipe, there is so much ginger, I thought it might be overpowering. But it wasn't, it was perfect. I also found that this cake got better the next day. The first night, I served it warm with vanilla ice cream. The next day, it was still delicious and even more moist. (moist? moist? moister? that's a strange word anyway, if you ask me)...

I didn't think the kids would like this cake. There is just a little too much going on in terms of healthy stuff and alcohol, and not nearly enough going on in terms of candy or chocolate. But as usual I was wrong, and they really liked it. I brought the leftovers in to work, and they disappeared pretty quick.

Apple Ginger Hazelnut Coffee Cake
from LCBO Food and Drink

1/3 cup dried cherries (I used cherry flavoured dried cranberries)
1/3 cup dark rum
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
2 1/3 cups flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 cups peeled and diced apples (2 large)
1 cup sour cream

Topping:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts, coarsley chopped

1. Soak dried cherries in rum for at least 20 minutes.

2. Beat butter and brown sugar. Add egg and fresh ginger and blend until mixed.

3. Sift together the flour, 2 tsp ground ginger, baking soda, and salt. Stir into butter mixture. Stir in diced apple, cherries and rum, and sour cream. Mix until well incorporated.

4. Spread batter in a greased 9" x 13" pan.

5. Stir together topping ingredients and sprinkle over batter.

6. Bake for 40 minutes at 350F, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool and cut into squares.