Home Page

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Peanut Butter, Banana and Cinnamon Muffins


What this blog really really needs (other than a different author/cook) is yet another muffin recipe. I know, I know, I've made promises to myself to stop making muffins until I use up the dozens that are languishing at the bottom of my freezer, but I have a problem, OK? I should probably seek therapy. MUST. MAKE. MUFFINS. I can't stop.

But these are REALLY REALLY good. The only thing that might make these even better is a cup of semi sweet chocolate chips, a stroke of brilliance that didn't occur to me until the muffins were already in the oven. But, unfortunately I won't ever be able to try that, because I am hereby making a solemn promise to myself to stop making muffins! I mean it this time. Really! (Gosh, it's hard to type with your fingers crossed).


Peanut Butter Banana Muffins with Crumb Topping
Makes 15 large muffins (or if you prefer, 12 large and 6 mini muffins)

1 1/2 cups bran flakes cereal
1 1/2 cups milk
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup banana, mashed
1 egg, beaten
1 cup chopped dates (or nuts, or chocolate chips)

Crumb Topping
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon

1. Stir together the milk and bran flakes and let stand for a few minutes.

2. In another bowl whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon).

3. Heat peanut butter and butter in microwave for 60 seconds. Pour into flour along with bran flake mixture and the banana, brown sugar and egg. Stir until just combined.

4. Mix in dates and spoon into prepared muffin tin.

5. Mix together all Crumb Topping ingredients until crumbly and divide amongst the muffins.

6. Bake at 400F for about 20 minutes or until the muffins pass the toothpick test.