Home Page

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Sourdough Pancakes


A few weeks ago I posted the recipe for my Sourdough Pizza Crust. This was more of an experiment than anything else. An experiment that went very well for a change. I've been working on a little project to develop a sourdough starter for about a month now, and I've baked with it a few times. Enough to know that I have a good starter going. In addition to the sourdough pizza crust, I've made sourdough cornbread, sourdough pancakes, sourdough crumpets, sourdough blueberry muffins, and a sourdough paperweight. All those recipes will be posted in good time - well except the paperweight recipe. Although, if anyone would like the recipe for a really heavy paperweight which can double as a brick to throw at your husband if he makes fun of your flopped bread, please just e-mail me for the recipe at:

madwomanattackshusbandwithunleavenedbread@crankypants.com

Anyway - I digress (as usual) - I thought I would share my sourdough pancake recipe today.

I've experimented with many different pancake recipes over the years. Sour Cream Pancakes, Pancakes with Beaten Egg Whites, Buckwheat Pancakes, Oatmeal Pancakes, Pancakes with all sorts of things added in, Pancakes from boxes, Pancakes from a can...

Until this past Saturday. My days of pancake experimentation are over. I will never ever be able to make pancakes again without making THIS recipe (unless I kill my starter, but that's another story). Before Saturday, my favorite pancake recipe has been one that I found in my Fanny Farmer Cookbook, where you separate the eggs, beat the egg whites and then fold them into the batter to make the pancakes extra fluffy.

But this recipe seriously blows that one away. On two fronts... it is way easier to make and it tastes better.

Here are the reviews of my family on these pancakes when asked which of my pancake recipes they like best:

Marco (6 years old): I don't know, do these ones have money in them? (In reference to the fact that I bake money into the pancakes every year on Shrove Tuesday).

Claire (10 years old): Yes, Mommy I love these ones best, can you buy me a new DS game?

Mario: I don't know, I think I need to try them all side by side to compare properly.(Seriously? OK, now where did I put that sourdough brick?)

Sourdough Pancakes

Before you go to bed:
1/2 cup sourdough starter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup warm water
1 1/4 cup flour

In the morning:
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp melted butter
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

1. Before you go to bed, mix together the starter, milk, water and flour. Give it a good stir and let it sit on the counter overnight.

2. In the morning, add in the remaining ingredients. Stir.

3. Cook your pancakes as per usual.


That's it! This recipe made 12 fairly generous size pancakes (using a 1/4 cup ice cream scoop to drop the batter on the frying pan), plus one runt size pancake for the cook to eat on the sly.